Below you will find all the latest changes being introduced with AR3S Basic (formerly known as ARES Basic) 22.214.171.124. It was published in January 2021. This release is focused on feedback we’ve received from users via our Feedback and Support Portals as well as our product roadmap.
The 126.96.36.199 Update is the second larger iterative version of AR3S. Its primary focus are stabilization, reliability and scalability features. Improvements for the Object Management, as well as, GUI Upgrades.
NEW – AR3S Pro is now fully featured and supported
NEW – Allows 3D files to be configured and opened in AR3S Pro by double-click as well as drag and drop
NEW – TriLib import library is implemented and supports: FBX , STL
NEW – Image Tracking is independent of the Holo-Light QR Code
NEW – Virtual Keyboard is available on all platforms that do not support a native keyboard
NEW – Welcome Panel allows to Quick Load files and Spaces
IMPROVED – Loading Cube Experience is made easier and more intuitive
IMPROVED – Re-aligning Objects is made easier and more intuitive
IMPROVED – Scene View Panel is made easier and more intuitive
IMPROVED – Interaction Panel shows the colors of the axes to lock
As part of our mission we continuously aim to improving AR3S. And bugs are no exceptions. Based on feedback from users, partners and internal developers the following bugs have been squashed.
FIXED – Demo Mode - CAD File Browser has no content when opened in Demo Mode
FIXED – Image Tracking - After a QR Code has been successfully scanned, the MR QR Image Tracker cannot capture any subsequent ones
FIXED – Interaction - Far Interaction Clicks are not recognized anymore
FIXED – IP Adress - No IP Address found when AR3S is started offline
FIXED – JT Import - Duplicate or NO requestable file for JT import
FIXED – JT Import - No Parallel/Sequential imports possible
FIXED – Licensing - Exception occurs when trying to release License without internet connection
FIXED – Licensing - License Initialization shows Invalid License on startup altough valid Access Token was loaded
FIXED – Licensing - User does not receive a notification when their License has expired
FIXED – Main Menu - Main Menu does not behave properly around Welcome Panel
FIXED – Main Menu - Main Menu is at times not accessible and app must be reinstalled
FIXED – Main Menu - Main Menu breaks when clicking "Real World Reference Button" during Menu Close/Open Animation
FIXED – Multi-User - Unexpected FileAvailableNotification(s) for Multi-User when pressing "Delete All"
FIXED – Multi-User - Broadcasting does not work on IP spaces which are not 192.168
FIXED – Multi-User - "Remove All" feature cannot remove every object for all users in Multi-User Session
FIXED – Multi-User - Shared Files are not correctly removed if one party is disconnected in a session
FIXED – Scaling - Import Scale for objects saved as HLCAD is not correct
FIXED – Object Management - After loading a model, it is not stable but jittering heavily when the user is moving
FIXED – Object Management - Manipulation Tools do not change position and rotation with Re-Alignment
FIXED – Scene Management -Deleting files from Scene View during Import Process does not remove Loading Cube
FIXED – Spaces - Saving multiple times at once blocks progress
FIXED – Spaces - Loading a Space when other objects are loaded throws Deletion Errors
FIXED – Spaces - Saving a scene immediately after pressing "Delete All" causes app to get stuck
Below you will find a list of known issues. These issues are defined as bugs, or at times missing features, that is known to the development team and are being actively investigated or developed.
- Licensing QR Codes may be difficult to read – QR Codes without border are possibly not readable when displayed on a black surface. As the licensing website has set up a white background you can read the QR Code on the webpage without issues.
- GLTF Importer - Import Process is Extremely Slow – The glTF Importer from the MRTK is very slow. Apparently, the import process does not make use of all available CPU cores. This could slow down the progress.
- Multi-User – Random Network Adapter – Starting a Multi-User Session on a PC as a host can result in the Networking Library taking a networking adapter by random, possibly a virtual adapter. These preinstalled virtual adapters have to be explicitly activated in Windows 10, proving as taxing for non tech-savvy users. We are currently on the lookout for a robust solution.
- QR Code Scanning Visual too small – When a user needs to activate the license via QR Code, the visual, which indicates how far a user needs to be away, so that the camera can identify the QR Code, is too small. Therefore the user needs to be closer than the visual is indicating. This can be confusing and lead to a situation where a user thinks the QR Code scanning does not work.
- Interaction Input is possibly blocked by Scrollbar – Scrollbar blocks Near Interaction Touch, if the Poke Pointer is near to the scrollbar.
- Object in Bounding Loading Box has wrong size when loading again after deleting – When importing an object (with an customized size) again after deleting it, the object has the wrong size in the Loading Box and also after loading.
- User Experience must be revamped– Several Buttons are hard to press and the Far Interaction feels clunky at times. When using Far Interaction e.g. to rotate an object with the Rotation widget, the interaction feels blocked. Some placeholder texts have to be reworked for a more polished User Interface.
- Proxy Server prevents communication with Licensing Server – When there is a Proxy server between the device using the AR3S licensing and the Licensing Server, communication does not work. Which direction is blocked/hindered or whether both, has to be investigated.
- Application Instability w/ various versions of Stylus Toolkit – In some rare scenarios, the AR3S application may experience a crash when utilizing the stylus. This is dependent on the integrated version of the STK (Stylus Toolkit). Please insure that you're on the latest firmware version of the StylusXR and AR3S.
- Multi-User disconnects when manipulating a shared object – When manipulating an object while it is being (exported and) shared with another person in Multi-User, the connection is lost and cannot be recovered.
- User cannot interact with Stylus on Keyboard or Browser – The Stylus cannot interact with any GUI that is not part of the AR3S app. Those are, in fact, currently the web browser as well as (native) keyboards
- App crashes when importing many models during Stylus Auto-Connect – If the user imports one or several models while the auto-connect process of the Stylus is currently running, the app tends to crash (resulting in a black-screen).
- Main Menu Button cannot be pressed right after moving a Measurement – After creating a Measurement, the first click on the Main Menu appears to have no effect.
- Wrong Hand Used for Measurement Input Action – In some cases, users have to perform Air Taps for adding a measurement point with the hand that has no cursor attached to it. This happens, when the hand with the first initialized cursor is hidden and in consequence the cursor moves to the other hand – but inputs can still be executed only with the original hand.
- Measurement Cursor attached to Hand when using Stylus – If there is no focus on the Stylus in certain cases (Stylus Connection, placing an object with Tap-to-place, turning on the Measurement mod) then the Measurement Cursor is attached to the focused hand (in this case not the stylus hand).
- ArgumentOutOfRange Exception when renaming a Space – An Exception occured when renaming a Space. The cause has yet to be investigated.
- HLCAD Export changes Coordinate System – When exporting a non-HLCAD file to HLCAD, which had been imported with a non-Unity-standard coordinate system (i.e. left-handed, Y-up, no-axis-mirrored), the object just fit into the standard coordinate system. After sharing this object, both objects have different coordinate systems which manifest as non-synchronous behaviour for the Re-align feature and other axis-based transformation.
TriLib Importers block Main Thread and Overflow Memory – When using the TriLib Importers to import FBX or STL files, at several points during the import the app’s Main Thread is blocked and the memory bloats up. This is likely due to GameObject creation and Material creation and assignment in too few frames. On HoloLens 2, for files larger than 30MB of size, this results in a memory overflow and a subsequent app crash.
- Access Token is never refreshed – The QR Code and downloaded HoloToken.txt file do not contain a Refresh Token. That means, that the Token lifetime is never actually refreshed. This leads to a "No valid license found" notification, when the Refresh Time expires.
Objects are not properly deleted networkwide In Multi-User Session – When loading a Space during a Multi-User Session in which (at least) 2 parties have shared objects, not all objects are correctly cleaned up when iterating this process.
Rigged Models have an Offset of Bounding Box/ Grab/ Tap To Place – When using AR3S to import a model with leaf transforms without meshes, several Features like Bounding Box, Grab and Tap-to-Place have an unidentified Offset that looks wrong to the user. This happens everytime with models that have bones or are rigged.
- Standalone Build throws Vuforia Exception – When using AR3S Pro after a Build, there are several errors thrown by the Vuforia Implementation, even if Vuforia is not needed. These errors are logged inside every logfile.
"Re-Align Object" does not align Object correctly – Sometimes, when re-aligning an object via the Hierarchy Tree, it is not moved and rotated so that its local position and rotation coincide with the QR Code's local position and rotation.
"Delete All Objects" deletes wrong objects in Multi-User Session – In a Multi-User Session in which all participants have shared multiple objects, the "Delete All" method in the Scene View Panel causes also wrong objects to be deleted.
Starting a Second Multi-User Server on the same PC causes an Exception – When running more than one Instance of AR3S on a computer and starting a Multi-User Session on more than one Instance on that PC, a SocketException occurs. This is because the port is bound to the first Instance.
- Attaching the File Picker closes the browser – On HoloLens 2, if the File Picker is detached, you can only reattach it by using the hand ray instead of the finger press. If you use the finger press, the picker will be closed instead.
File Sharing sometimes cannot apply State and Network Identities in Multi-User Sessions on the same PC – In some cases the File Sharing process cannot be finished, because the current State and Network Identities are not delivered correctly from the File Owner to the Receptor (both are on the same computer, but there is an actual network data transmission running anyway). This results in "unfinished" File Sharing and a delivered model that is correctly created, but not synchronizable during the Multi-User Session, because of missing Network Identities.
- Welcome Screen and Load Space confirmation window overlap – When the Welcome Panel is enabled it overlaps a confirmation message when the user navigates to the Load Space browser more than once. This renders the windows unreadable.