AR3S Pro was formerly known as ARES PRO.
Below you will find all the latest changes being introduced with AR3S Pro 18.104.22.168. It was published in February 2021 and is focused on feedback we’ve received from users via our Feedback and Support Portals as well as our product roadmap.
The 22.214.171.124 Update is the second larger iterative version of AR3S PRO. Its primary focus are stabilization, reliability and scalability features. Improvements for the Multi-User Mode, as well as, File Import.
NEW – Hands and Controllers are now properly shared in a Multi-User session, ensuring better communication between participants.
NEW – The user's hand meshes were revised and are now displayed accurately
NEW – SVF files can now be imported into AR3S via glTF
As part of our mission we continuously aim to improving AR3S. And bugs are no exceptions. Based on feedback from users, partners and internal developers the following bugs have been squashed.
FIXED – Image Tracking - Tracked Images are not placed correctly
FIXED – Image Tracking - "Re-Align Object" does not align object correctly
FIXED – Interaction - Near Interaction of certain Manipulation Tools does not work
FIXED – JT Import - Loading Cube for parallelly started (JT) Imports shows Placeholder Text
FIXED – Multi-User - Shared Files are not correctly removed if one party is disconnected in a Multi-User Session
FIXED – Multi-User - Files cannot be loaded correctly if requested the second time in a Multi-User Session
FIXED – Multi-User - "Delete All Objects" deletes wrong objects in Multi-User Session
FIXED – Multi-User - Hand Meshes are broken and therefore hand gestures are not clearly recognizable
FIXED – Object Management - Object can be realigned even before Loading Cube has been confirmed
FIXED – QR Code Reader - MR QR Tracking Visualizer does not scale with QR Code Size
FIXED – UX - Welcome Screen and Load Space Confirmation Window overlap when going back from Loading Space Selection to Welcome Screen
Below you will find a list of known issues. These issues are defined as bugs, or at times missing features, that is known to the development team and are being actively investigated or developed.
Application Instability w/ various versions of Stylus Toolkit – In some rare scenarios, the AR3S application may experience a crash when utilizing the stylus. This is dependent on the integrated version of the STK (Stylus Toolkit). Please insure that you're on the latest firmware version of the Stylus XR and AR3S.
- Unable to load original Files with Native File Formats from Forge Meta Data Panel – When selecting a File in the Forge File Browser, the Meta Data Window appears and has a button to download the original File without conversion. This button is only enabled for Files whose file format is supported natively by AR3S. However, when trying to download such File in this manner, an exception is thrown and no download happens.
- Object in Bounding Loading Box has wrong size when loading again after deleting – When importing an object (with an customized size) again after deleting it, the object has the wrong size in the Loading Box and also after loading.
- Load Object button in Files Menu does not work after using Interaction Tool – The Load Object Button in the Files Menu stops working when the Hierarchy Tree Window and the Interaction Window are open. Even after closing the Hierarchy and Interaction Window, the Load Button cannot be used.
- Manipulation Tools are not adjusted correctly in Multi-User – During a Multi-User Session where both parties are currently using a Manipulation Tool (e.g. the Bounding Box), said Tool is not properly displayed on the other side in some cases. Affected are Realignment, Undo/Redo, as well as resetting all Values in the Interaction Panel. A workaround for that occurrence is to deselect the Tool and then selecting it again to reposition the object.
- Scene View Panel Buttons stop responding to Near Interaction after enabling them again – When the Scene View Panel sets the buttons to disabled and then back to enabled (e.g. when deleting an object) the button seem to be enabled, but does not call any functions anymore when using Near Interaction.
- Objects are not properly deleted networkwide In Multi-User Session – When loading a Space during a Multi-User Session in which (at least) 2 parties have shared objects, not all objects are correctly cleaned up when iterating this process.
- User Experience must be revamped– Several Buttons are hard to press and the Far Interaction feels clunky at times. When using Far Interaction e.g. to rotate an object with the Rotation widget, the interaction feels blocked. Some placeholder texts have to be reworked for a more polished User Interface.
- Undo/Redo behaves incorrectly in certain cases –The Redo/Undo Action is not tracked properly when the Client realigns an object. When Undo is clicked, the object reverts to the state back before it got aligned. Also Redo cannot be performed after the Realignment.
- Selection Shader is not applied on receiving side when sharing selected objects – When sharing an selected object in Multi-User, it is usually displayed as selected on the receiving side as well. However, the object has sometimes its normal Shader applied opposed to the proper Selection Shader. Aside from that, it is correctly selected and behaves as such. Even when unselecting and selecting the object again, the Shader is never applied.
- TriLib Importers block Main Thread and Overflow Memory – When using the TriLib Importers to import FBX or STL files, at several points during the import the app’s Main Thread is blocked and the memory bloats up. This is likely due to GameObject creation and Material creation and assignment in too few frames. On HoloLens 2, for files larger than 30MB of size, this results in a memory overflow and a subsequent app crash.
- HLCAD Export changes Coordinate System – When exporting a non-HLCAD file to HLCAD, which had been imported with a non-Unity-standard coordinate system (i.e. left-handed, Y-up, no-axis-mirrored), the object just fit into the standard coordinate system. After sharing this object, both objects have different coordinate systems which manifest as non-synchronous behavior for the Re-align feature and other axis-based transformation.
- Multi-User disconnects when manipulating a shared object – When manipulating an object while it is being (exported and) shared with another person in Multi-User, the connection is lost and cannot be recovered.
- GLTF Importer - Import Process is Extremely Slow – The glTF Importer from the MRTK is very slow. Apparently, the import process does not make use of all available CPU cores. This could slow down the progress.
- Client's Avatar Hand Meshes remain in Session after Host terminates Session – Once a Multi-User Session with shared hands is interrupted on the Host Side, the Client's Hand Meshes remain frozen in place and are not deleted.
- Local Multi-User Session is not broadcasted to the same machine – When starting an AR3S Multi-User Session on a PC the session is not broadcasted to the local host. This prevents any other locally started AR3S Instance from being able to connect to that session other than via direct IP Connection.
- File Sharing sometimes cannot apply State and Network Identities in Multi-User Sessions on the same PC – In some cases the File Sharing process cannot be finished, because the current State and Network Identities are not delivered correctly from the File Owner to the Receptor (both are on the same computer, but there is an actual network data transmission running anyway). This results in "unfinished" File Sharing and a delivered model that is correctly created, but not synchronizable during the Multi-User Session, because of missing Network Identities.
- Starting a Second Multi-User Server on the same PC causes an Exception – When running more than one Instance of AR3S on a computer and starting a Multi-User Session on more than one Instance on that PC, a SocketException occurs. This is because the port is bound to the first Instance.
- Standalone Build throws Vuforia Exception – When using AR3S Pro after a Build, there are several errors thrown by the Vuforia Implementation, even if Vuforia is not needed. These errors are logged inside every logfile.
- Rigged Models have an Offset of Bounding Box/ Grab/ Tap To Place – When using AR3S to import a model with leaf transforms without meshes, several features like Bounding Box, Grab and Tap-to-Place have an unidentified Offset that looks wrong to the user. This happens every time with models that have bones or are rigged.
- Access Token is never refreshed – The QR Code and downloaded HoloToken.txt file do not contain a Refresh Token. That means, that the Token lifetime is never actually refreshed. This leads to a "No valid license found" notification, when the Refresh Time expires.
- Measurement Cursor is attached to the hand while using Stylus – If there is no focus on the Stylus in certain cases (e.g. Stylus Connection, placing an object with Tap-to-place or turning on the Measurement Mode) then the Measurement Cursor is attached to the hand not wielding the Stylus.
- Main Menu Button cannot be pressed right after moving a Measurement – After creating a Measurement, the first click on the Main Menu appears to have no effect.
- App crashes when importing many models during Stylus Auto-Connect – If the user imports one or several models while the auto-connect process of the Stylus is currently running, the app tends to crash (resulting in a black-screen).
- User cannot interact with Stylus on Keyboard or Browser – The Stylus cannot interact with any GUI that is not part of the AR3S app. Those are, in fact, currently the web browser as well as (native) keyboards
- Proxy Server prevents communication with Licensing Server – When there is a Proxy server between the device using the AR3S licensing and the Licensing Server, communication does not work. Which direction is blocked/hindered or whether both, has to be investigated.
- Object is upside down after scaling – When scaling an object by hand, the scale can possess negative values, causing the object to be displayed upside down.
- Interaction Input is possibly blocked by Scrollbar – Scrollbar blocks Near Interaction Touch, if the Poke Pointer is near to the scrollbar.
- Licensing QR Codes may be difficult to read – QR Codes without border are possibly not readable when displayed on a black surface. As the licensing website has set up a white background you can read the QR Code on the webpage without issues. If you are scanning a physical QR code, make sure the background is neutral and bright and that you have good lighting conditions. Scan the QR code from a short distance (less than 50cm).
- Multi-User – Random Network Adapter – Starting a Multi-User Session on a PC as a host can result in the Networking Library taking a networking adapter by random, possibly a virtual adapter. These preinstalled virtual adapters have to be explicitly activated in Windows 10, proving as taxing for non tech-savvy users. We are currently on the lookout for a robust solution.
- Last Item in Hierarchy Tree is not visible when Component List is too long to be displayed without scrolling – When expanding the Hierarchy List of an object the last item of the list is displayed outside the window, if the list is longer than the window. Only a small part of the item can then be seen outside the window.
- Attaching the File Picker closes the browser – On HoloLens 2, if the File Picker is detached, you can only reattach it by using the hand ray instead of the finger press. If you use the finger press, the picker will be closed instead.
- Double-clicking when a file type is linked to AR3S will open a new instance of AR3S Pro – When a file type is linked to AR3S itself (for example the Augmented Reality Engineering Space.exe) a double click will open a new instance of AR3S Pro. If said file type is associated with the StandaloneRuntimeBroker.exe (located in the StandaloneRuntimeBroker subfolder), the file will be opened in the already opened instance. A solution to the occurrence of a new instance is to link the file type in Windows with the Runtimebroker.
- The AR3S Pro server will not start if multiple monitors are in use – The AR3S Pro Server runs on server devices (e.g. PCs) only on the main monitor due to limitations of the Windows operating system. You can easily identify the main screen via (Settings -> Display -> Identify). The bug can be worked around by starting AR3S Pro Server on your first monitor only.